Renting Out Tillers?

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by EquipKop, Jan 30, 2014.

1. EquipKop

EquipKop LawnSite Member

I'm looking at bringing a rear tine tiller or two into my rental fleet this spring, but I'm trying to figure out what brand and how many? What is your experience with rental grade tillers? How many hours are put on them each year? How often do you replace them?

2. MRCo.

MRCo. LawnSite Member

We rent Honda tillers, great luck with them. You just need a good range of sizes for the jobs in hand, and make sure the right machine goes for the job. Always ask what people are doing, then price the machine for the job. Give them the range of prices first and they will always try to tight wad if you recommend one of the pricier options, and say they made it sound worse than it is, and oh they're sure the small one will do it. Right...

3. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I got my own but I see a lot of horse tillers at rent centers. Some are new, some really ancient. I don't think you can hurt one without really trying or dropping on the highway at 55. Mine is ancient and new belts, tines, engine was much cheaper than a new one. I think I got around 1K in it and it is good as new.

I hate tilling and what it did to my back. I'm 35.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Rental customers can destroy anything. Mindset of a renter "hey, its not mine".
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

As a landscape contractor I look for the Honda 800.