1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Renting out your equipment ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by weedwoop, Aug 3, 2004.

1. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I work solo but have aquired quite a bit of equipment. Or like an old contractor around here would put it, " I've got a lot of seats but only one azz to to put in um ". Anyway, was thinking of renting some of the equipment out on a limited bases and was wondering if anyone has done so. My biggest concern is liabilty insurance. Probably the policy I have now would not cover it. I'll be calling my insurance agent but thought I would put it out here for discussion. Thanks.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

who is responsible for breakdowns? scratches? dents?

I'd be awfully angry at someone if they mangled up my new mower, even if i know it was nothing they had control over in a freak accident or something similar.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Unless you are willing to take their driver license and a credit card, should something be damaged or theft, I would not even consider it. Yes, insurance shoud be considered also.
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would never think of it !!!!!
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Weedwoop,

Here is an interesting quote from this post that applies in a way.

"I learned a lesson a long time ago about renting or borrowing someones commercial equipment. I asked this guy I knew that did excavating on the side if I could rent (not borrow) his road grader to work on my 1/4 mile driveway. He said sure, $75 per hour. So I asked him how much he charged for him to do it, and he replyed $75 per hour. Lesson learned. Now that is the policy I apply to my business. I buy my equipment to make money, so I am not just going to let someone else wear it out just so they can save themselves some cash, but offer to do it for them as a service."