1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Repainting deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wareagle, Jun 1, 2003.

1. wareagle

wareagle LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I would like to repaint my deck to prevent further paint flaking and rust. The deck is not in real bad shape, but has a few spots where paint has been scraped off due to hitting obstacles. I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has done it before. Should I repaint the whole thing is just touch up the rough spots? What type paint/primer? Any technique tips?
  2. just grass

just grass LawnSite Member

i have been to several dealers and they carry paint that matches the mower, i think i have seen paint for scag, kubota, lesco and gravely.

i heard that if you paint during your down time you can actually give your deck a better chance of getting the right amount of coats. and it sealing to prevent cracking .
  3. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I spent 9 years selling paint to everyone under the sun and I can tell you that touching up a steel mower deck with paint will only last a short time at best! Reason being most decks are powder coated at the time of production ! Powder coating is the best when it comes to being a durable finish ! Any paint coating is only as good as the preparation that go's into the job at hand. An epoxy would be the best since you cannot expect a paint to hold up to the abuse many lco's will put a mower deck through!
    But you would need to sandblast the entire deck if you can't get a 100% color match in an epoxy coating. If you want to do it right wait until the off season and see if you can send the deck to the manufacturer for re coating ! ( Powder Coated) If you can't go that route then I would sandblast it and then use an epoxy matched to the original color. Make sure the coating if of a type designed for metal use in an industrial setting. Example: Sherwin Williams: Tile Clad HS , there are also several other epoxies from Sherwin Williams that would do well ! They have a recoatable epoxy primer that would do well as a primer for this coating as well as others! These coatings all need to be sprayed so plan on having a pro do it if you don't have the equipment to do so !
    Touch up paint won't last long ! OK for quick fix but you must do the prep! Grass, Herbicides and Fertilizers are all extremely tough on regular metal paints so go the best route and do it right the first time !
    Good Luck ! Any questions just ask !
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been painting the deck EVERY MONTH. Do what Turf Dancer said. It is a real PITA to keep painting it. I usually use a wire brush on a drill to scrape the old paint.
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've repainted a few different mowers with rust (that were originally powder coated). First, I use a bunch of steel wool wrapped around a drill bit, and sand off the rust and "thin" the edges of the left over paint around the edges of the rust spot. Then I put a darker primer coat on, let it dry for a day or so, then put the real stuff on. Works very well for me, usually lasts at least 6months to a year (If I take good care of it)