repainting my scag wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagboy227, Nov 27, 2005.

1. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

i got a scag at the beggining of the season and it went through alote this season and i decided to repaint the deck and i was wondering if the factory clearcoats their paint and if that is just what makes it shine

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Don't think they use clearcoat, Most are powder coated.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Powder coating is the only thing I know of that holds up well to heavy abuse. if you spraypainted it ,the paint would be gone in 10 mins or so.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking of repainting one of my decks tomorrow as well. I wire brush it down and usually use Rustoleum. Can I purchase powder coated paint?

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Your local scag dealer has aerosol paint (Scag Cats Eye Gold)#48521 not really gold it's scag true.

6. Restrorob

You can buy it but it's highly expensive and you would need a large enough oven to bake it on. Yes the paint is sprayed on in a powder form inside a oven then baked on which makes it a hard surface. You may want to try a epoxy type spray paint and see if it will hold up better, If not stick with your Rustoleum.

7. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

i thought when the powdercoat something they put it in a special chamber and attach cables to what their coating....they run electricity through it and it makes the paint stick to it....then they bake it.....is this right?

8. Restrorob

Come to think of it, I painted 4 complete units some 9 years ago. I used Martin Senior Commercial paint from Napa and sprayed it with a gun. One of the units still comes in for repairs and still looks great.

9. Restrorob

Yes, Thats correct I just left that detail out and the chamber is the oven and they still spray the powder on. But there are some kits on the market that doesn't require electricity. I was checking into the kit and decided the ovens they had were not big enough to make worth it to me.