Repair Advice On JD Walk behind

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LBOperator, Jun 23, 2013.

1. LBOperator

LBOperator LawnSite Member

I am looking at a JD HD4548 walk behind mower. That's what he said it was, it's hydro and said it runs great, but has a deck problem. He can't get the deck to kick on unless he jumps the power with his truck battery and lawn battery together. What could this be? It has to be something simple I would think.

2. LBOperator

Update on this post guys. I have the mower and found there is nothing wrong with the deck or the pto. It is an HD45 48" deck, pull start 14hp Kaw with electric pto. It's using a stand alone battery to run the pto right now, does the Kaw not run the deck once running? Also the engine is leaking oil right above the drain tube where the case splits (most bottom split) is this an oil pan or more? And is it easy to fix or should I put the other 14hp Kaw I have on it? Thanks in advance.

3. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

On the electrical issue...... Go to your site user control panel and check the box to receive private messages, Then send me one......

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

In addition, I always use a spray type gasket sealer on any paper/fiber engine gasket. Either hi-temp copper coat or hi-tack spray.

6. Restrorob

Fish......

A alternative to those expensive sealers is cheap spray paint, That's right..... Paint both sides of the gasket and install while tacky. I gar-ron-tee a no leak seal once the engine reaches operating temp the first time.....

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using silver spray paint on head gaskets for a loooong time (startin' with my 65 BSA Lightning Rocket) but never used it on paper gaskets.........

Time to drag my a$$ outta this AC and get wet.............again!

8. LBOperator

Thanks guys.

9. LBOperator

It won't let me access the pm interface, says I don't have permission. I think you have to have so many posts before you can do that.

10. Restrorob

Looks like you have the post count aced, It's 25/30 days membership you don't have yet......

Download this manual and go to section 5 page 41 and start testing with a multimeter until you find the problem;

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/6406332/deere-wb-commercial-units-pdf-24-7-meg

Let me know when you get it saved to your computer....... This is a limited time download and WILL NOT BE REACTIVATED !!!