Repair job

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Oct 5, 2007.

1. This is a 20+zone 2 wire system we maintain...We just finished getting the system back in working condition a couple of weeks ago from lightening damage...
    Received a call that the plumber was replacing the water line to the house with copper. I get there and see the 2" main destroyed and four 1-1/2" Rain Bird PGA valves and the 2 wirer receivers ripped out the ground. 80ft of 2" main line destroyed and the 1-1/2" laterals packed with mud and the 14ga wire all over the place.....:cry:

I will be doing the repair on Monday...
    Plumbers trench
    [​IMG]
    Booster pump
    [​IMG]
    1 1/2" laterals and electrical conduit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Whos payin for that repair? Plumber just kept hackin away after he hit the pipe the first time?

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I sure hope you're getting a pretty penny for this one. :drinkup:

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

like the 2 that posted before me said..

Looks like an expensive repair....you should slam someone good with a nice stiff bill.

5. Don't it just drive you nuts when they don't call before the work gets started!? They could have saved so much money if they had just had you come out for some preop work. By the way are you back to walkie talkies on two wire? Do you have a way to run by remote?

6. The homeowner will pay for the repairs....Walkie Talkie on this 2 wire site of 4+ acres.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

more reason for two wire systems... less to splice

8. Still not a big fan of 2 wire systems. If installing a 2 wire systems you better provide a detailed as-built with valve locations/zones because a 521 will not locate a valve on a 2 wire the same way as a multi wire systems. Almost all of my trouble shooting equipment is useless on a 2wire system. You will also need a detailed path of wire runs. This 2 wire system we maintain is always having problems with the field receivers, either the zone or multi zones will be running or not running at all. 2 wire is a pain to trouble shoot, you must go to every single valve and find out what it is doing, is the receiver working or not, is the wiring good to each valve, is the solenoid good, every connection must have a proper connection. In the long run "this" 2 wire systems has cost the homeowner more than if a multi wire system had been installed.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What a damn mess. Why is the mainline being replaced and why did the plumber need to rip up all that stuff?

10. Seems the original water line to the house was 2" non-pressure pipe and was right under the irrigation lines. Homeowner wanted 2" copper to the house pump . Seems the plumber got the track-hoe stuck in the trench and tried digging his way out and just started ripping irrigation out. Once I uncovered most of it and figured out what goes where, it looks worse than it really is. I need to connect the 2" main back to the booster pump, replace and connect the 2" main back together, replace four 1-1/2" PGA's, connect the 4 laterals and repair the wires. Funny thing is that even though it is a 2wire system there are 4 wires. I will splice and test , if it does not work I will try a different wire combo.