Repair Or Replace Transmissoin

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeffex, Sep 30, 2005.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a toro 36"gear drive with a peereless tranny that i got in 1996 It slips in and out of gear in 4th and 5th gear lately. I need it for leaf removal because it has a mulch kit. I'm looking at the J THOMAS parts catalog and a new one is $195 . that seems like a good price. My question is has anyone repaired these things[exploded parts list in owners Manuel] or better off simply replacing. I'm hoping to SLIP through the end of the season before I take it apart any thoughts or comments?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would repair it without a question. Forth and fifth gears and two shift keys is all thats needed and you don't even have to remove it from the unit.

3. jeffex

I guessing I could pull the top cover and get a look without complete dis-assembly?

4. jeffex

oops duplicate

5. jeffex

I looked at your bio very impressive any suggestions on repairing ACR on 15 hp kohler. I cant find it on the kohler website

6. Restrorob

The only repair to the ACR is the return spring replacement. Should you open it up for this check the flyweight closely for wear and flat spots, If there is the whole camshaft will need replacing. Here is a break-down, When you go to the Kohler site and pull your engine up click on crankcase.
    Good luck

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes but...

Make sure you remove the shift detent first or you will not be able to completely remove the top case. Look at the back of the tranny. You'll see a boss that leads to the shift shaft. There is an allen head screw, a spring and a ball inside of the boss. Remove the allen head screw and you should be able to slide the top case off of the shift shaft.

8. jeffex

RM I see them on my schematic in the JTHOMAS catalog numbered 1,2,and 3 it appears to me I can ,as restorob says, look inside for the damaged or worn gears and order new ones. With the drought we're in I may be able to get the parts and repair before I have to use the mower. THANKS FOR THE HELP :cool:

9. Restrorob

Remember; The wear you are looking for is on the inside of the gears where the shift keys make contact. So you will need to remove the drive axles and the gearshaft assembly for inspection.

10. jeffex

cool thanks