Repair them or trash them

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikeg8575, Nov 29, 2003.

1. mikeg8575

mikeg8575 LawnSite Member

I figured I'd write under this topic to get some imput from other veterans. I've been in business for 12 years now. I am still trying to figure out the best way to keep machine costs and repair costs to a minimum. I have 4 walkbehinds 3 standers and 1 rider. Do most of you guys continue to repair your equipment, trade them in, sell them, what? Repairs are expensive as well as down time. Purchasing new all the time is also very expensive. I am beginning to feel that after 2 years, when the warranties are up, the machines are becoming a big headache. I spend more time fixing stuff then I want to.

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I would advise setting a predetrimed amount on each piece of equipment, my rule is after warranty expires I will spend up to 35% of mowers value fro repairs, but also repair bill is one time unless you have cash to buy I would advise repair. Credit is the worst hamstringing your profits...

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

After 2 yrs the machine should be paid for or real close to it , it still has some trade value and if you get on a schedule with a dealer to trade every 2 yrs or possably 3 yrs you should make out fairly well. I'm not a mechanoc and don't want to come home and work on equipment at the end of the day. So for me its trade it every 2or 3 yrs for new with a warrenty plus with the way tech. keeps going they always have a couple of neat little inprovements to make life easier. imo.

Mac