Repair......wall blow out

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Mar 23, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Water is not their friend.......customers recent blow out. I'm putting together a price now of around $6,800. Thoughts? Never priced a repair like this. Really the wall needs taking down but they may be moving and not looking to spend the money for the whole wall. The "hole" will be 15' wide and 10' tall after I open it up. If you want to do the math that comes to $45.33 per face foot.

Thought some of you may enjoy these pics........caused by a downspout.

DSC02263.jpg

2. tthomass

from N. VA

From the top.

DSC02267.jpg

3. tthomass

from N. VA

Lucky the Mercedes wasn't parked there.

DSC02264.jpg

4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow!

Tim

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Man you have your hands full there !!! Who ever built that wall needs a good as! kicking . Wrong wall for that application

6. tthomass

from N. VA

The wall is a good 25yrs old......the mortar has gone to just about nothing on the whole wall.

7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly don't think that repairing the hole is such a good idea.
    I can't see how it lasted this long unless whomever put in the pavers
    did something wrong. PLus it looks like the drive is seperating in front of the basketball rim. Last thought who's gonna be dumb enough to go down in that hole and compact, when more could collapse?

8. tthomass

from N. VA

The entire driveay and pavers are crap. Repair is the WRONG approach but the only one for them as I mentioned before. I'd like to take down the wall and driveway but not going to happen.

Rebuild the wall, daylight the wall, backfill with #57.....downspout I'm going to run under the driveway and through the wall. Grate/drain along the top of the wall to carry all water that runs across the driveway not allowing it to get to the wall.

Can I get some opinions on the price please? I'm NOT used to pricing repairs. I tihnk my price is fair for my and other similar metro areas.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

The grate I will be subbing out and is not included in that price.

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure that they will not come back on you for the part of the wall that you DO NOT touch, should it give like the hole did.

Also look for other down spouts that they did not run under the drive but over the drive and give a bid to bury them also.

I would add a few thousand slush because I have a feeling that you are going to run into extras on this one.

Tim

You certainly have your hands full.