1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Repair work - paver over concrete entrance

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mikeslandscaping, May 5, 2008.

1. Mikeslandscaping

Mikeslandscaping LawnSite Member

I have started what should have been an easy job to repair paver steps that had shifted for a client but it has turn into a much bigger job than expected. The clients drive, front patio, steps and entrance way are all Unilock tumbled pavers (about 10yrs old). The front entrance is recessed and made from pour concrete covered with pavers.

I would insert a picture but can't figure out how to do it. The door sits back about 5' from the top of the steps. There is a garage on one side and the living room on the other. So two sides are up against the brick on the house, the third side is the door and the other the step. The pavers are 2 1/2" on 3/4" of sand.

All the water that has fallen into this area over the years has been trapped here and has disintegrated the first course of brick on both the garage and living room side. It has even disintegrated the top 3/4"-1" of the original poured concrete porch. It just crumbles when touched.

I have never placed full pavers on a front entrance like this. My suggestion is to remove the pavers, replace the house brick (matched as close as possible), repour the concrete surface and then bond a nice 1/2 thick paver or stone directly to the concrete.

The Client likes the idea of the matching paver and would like to just bond the same pavers on top of the newly pour concrete. If I go this route how do I seal it properly so that the water does not get caught in this area again? Is it even possible to keep the water damage from re-occurring? Should I but the pavers right up against the house brick? Do I need to leave troughs along the edges of the walls for the water to escape? I am debating telling the client that this just is not the way to go but would like some input from anyone who has experience with this type of an install before I make my final decision. I want to make sure that the work lasts and the client stays satisfied.