Repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jun 27, 2007.

1. We received a call from a guy, now living in Ohio, about a leak at his house he is selling here and that a plumber had come out and tried repairing the line. The plumber told the customer that every time he fixed a leak another place would blowout and that he needed all new piping and the sprinkler would not cut off. I arrive and uncover this mess and I turn on the main water for the house and also the irrigation, no separate meter on this one. Water is leaking from the MA on backflow and the sprinkler starts coming on. I see cut wires and a valve box but no valve. The plumber had removed the zone valve and piped it back together, no wonder the zone would run every time he turned the water back on.

This is what I uncover, finding a box , cut wires but no zone valve.
    [​IMG]

Check out all the couplings, slip fix, pipes not lining up correctly, missing valve ,etc...
    [​IMG]
    Up close of this mess,
    [​IMG]

Valve back in place and piping redone.

[​IMG]

I reworked the main to the house and also reworked the backflow and piping to zone valve.
    [​IMG]

2. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

At least he was tidy with his glue work.:hammerhead:

3. When I uncovered it, I was sure it was a candy cane.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

How many splices could he have done? I think I see room for a couple more in there.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The sad thing is that the plumber probably charges double what you do.

Nice repair.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've always wondered why the backflow boys don't use stainless for the ball
    valve shut-off! They all rust off.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've always wondered why the backflow boys don't use stainless for the ball
    valve shut-off! They all rust off.:hammerhead:

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can get stainless handles and nuts as a retrofit, and sometimes as an option when you buy the things. I just save the handles from valves removed in service, and that's usually enough for replacements.

9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We are working on a commercial job that we started in late May and will carry over into August. And I had asked the mechanical contractor on site for a 1.5" backflow setup for temporary use off of a hydrate and explained to him that we have a 2" main. Will a week later he brings me (2) .75" backflows and said "this should do it." I looked at the RPZ's and thought :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: and gave them back and made the 1.5" setup myself.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do a plumber's "turd chasing" jobs... they should not do my irrigation work. Most are worse than monkeys. :cry: