Repairing a heaved paver patio/walkway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 79kz400, Sep 13, 2005.

1. 79kz400

79kz400 LawnSite Member
    from Mid-Oho

I've found this forum to be a better resource than a tech school i once attened. You guys really know your stuff!

The Setting : My solo operation business is still in the experimental stage but if i'm still around next spring i'll incorperate and really go at it. Most of my work is mowing and trimming and its been 6 years since i did any real hardscape work.

The Situation : An elderly customer is requesting that I fix her paver walkway. The walk has heaved 3" in places and sunk 1" in others. This walk is about 15 years old and the installer is long gone. Dimensions are 10'x10' on the patio (marginal condition) and 4'x8' for the walk. The customer is legally blind and keeps stubbing her toe on the heaved areas.

I can pull the pavers up and relevel the entire thing in 3 days myself. I want $400 for this and would consider renting a compactor but will probably tamp it by hand. - This is what she wants.

For $700 I'll get a helper (and a discount on aggregates) and rebase the whole thing - I suspect that it was never properly based to begin with because i've never seen one heave that was set properly. All i have at this point is some basic hand tools and a basic laser level. Not wanting to be a dirtbag doing shody work this is what i'd like to do.

Your thoughts and criticisms please!

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We dont repair interlocking pavements. We rebuild from scratch.

Sounds like it needs completely rebuilt.

As in lift the pavers, remove whatever was used for the base, and start over again and use proper materials and methods.

To do it right, we'd get around $3000 - $4000.

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS is right, rebuild it. The other guy is long gone, so guess who will be held responsible after you patch it? The only way to guarantee it's done correctly is to start from scratch.

4. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

Wow, you get $3-4000 for a 130+/- sq ft job? 22$ -$ 30a sq.. huh..I need to relocate to your area it seems.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Easier said then done IMO. I would start from scratch, if its heaved and lowered the base has to be redone, which means you have to take off the leveling layer of sand, so figure Another ton or 2 of QP, followed by sand, then extra pavers so you can recut, because it'll take you forever to fit the cut pavers back in....so i dunno...my 2 cents. You price should be a little bit higer as well. Good Luck.

Jeff

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, he should remove the sand and all of the base aggregate and inspect the subsoil.

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah really I'll do that job for 2400.00 LOL

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Absolutly ^^^^ customer is elderly AND legally blind double the normal acooutabilty, No way in he!l can you take a chance on any thing going wrong.
    BTW-- Same state and only a little North of you and to remove and do it right with out seeing it $3-$4 k is about right

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you guys read thats what i said....START FROM SCRATCH.

Jeff

10. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

Sorry I dont buy that a that a job this small (132 sq.) would get 3-4000$. God bless you if you get 22-30$ a sq., good for you, but its just robbery as far as I am concerned. A job this size for start over to finish would take us about 4 hrs if I could get equipment in there, i would have a hard time sleeping knowing I just robbed a client for $2500-3500 profit in like 4 hrs of work.