Repairing a lawn with snow mold

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnkid, Apr 14, 2005.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I have two lawns and my own that I am servicing this year that were plush and green last year but are now dead looking because of snow mold. What would be the best way to go about repairing this and getting it back to it's original color including which chemicals to apply. Right now I am applying Dimension 13-2-5 to all of my properties for crabgrass control. Should I dethatch it and then fertilize or... One of the lawns was a sod install two years ago and mine and another were seeded so I don;t know if that matters. Please share your opinions.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Rake out the snow mold. If it's bad enough, dethatch it. Lots of snow mold this year after a long winter.

You can always seed the spots after raking or thatching as well.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

thow in a dose of starter fert.combo, you want a quick release and also, want it to keep slow releasing for a couple weeks.
    be sure the fungus is dead, you may need to spray some fungicide on it.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of grass is the snow mold on? that will determine what course of action you should take. alot of bent grass in my area has major snow mold to the point of total ripe out of replacement.

rake out the snow mold, and if its that bad aerate overseed and hit it with starter fert. if the lawn is that bad then replace it if possible