Repairing Broken Sprinkler Line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jim1504, May 16, 2005.

1. jim1504

jim1504 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Occasionally I'll run into a customer with a broken sprinkler line that needs repair. It's usually just a crack in a straight piece of PVC (so it needs a .15 cent fitting). Do you guys have a way to use the cheap .15 cent fitting or do you use the $3-$4 PVC coupling? Sorry for the basic question. :(

Thanks
    Jim

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey jim1504-----

If the more expensive pvc fitting/coupling you are referring to is the expandable repair coupling, that is probably the best/fastest/easiest way.

Your first post---I'll say welcome to ya!

See ya---kerdog

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We call them SlipFixes here, and thats all we use. Wsy better than the clamping couples.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

That expensive couping is a flow-span or slip-fix and is a great time saver, but it also needs that .15 coupling to make it work. The idea is the expandable coupling saves you having to dig a big enough hole to "snap" a fitting in. For 1" and larger yes, for 3/4 and 1/2 I would still snap. Your location says TX, are you a TX licensed irrigator? Even for simple repairs your supposed to be if your making a profit from it. A "better" solution to the flow-span (imho) is a new product out on the market (been out for at least 4 or 5 years now) is the Dawn repair coupling. Cheaper than a flow span and they solid glue in. That means that they don't move once you have installed them. I like these for blind repairs. I still like the flow span for the dry side of a solenoid valve repair. The Dawn couplings come in 3/4 to 1.5", and for the difference in price, I like to use these even on 3/4 pvc.

And don't sell those "expensive" fitting short. Most customers CAN'T buy them. This means that you get to charge what ever the market will bear for them payup

5. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Slip-fix, quick-fix, whatever name---now available at most hdwe./home improvement here in Houston area. (unfortunate/fortunate), which ever way you look at it.

What is the Dawn cplg., you refer to, bicmudpuppy?

6. bicmudpuppy

They started carrying them here in the KC area a few years ago. Neatest thing since the glue on saddle imho. It is female x female, and the fitting is composed of two couplings on a piece of pipe. The couplings are tapered so they can be slid to the middle. Just like a slip fix, you cut out just enough pipe for the repair to fit into. Then you prime and glue the male portion of the fitting and your pipe. The fitting itself is supposed to be pre-primed or no primer needed. I prime it the best I can anyway. I also tend to use "blue" glue for these, but I've used regular medium body w/ sucess. They also make 90's and tees, but I use and stock the couplings. The reason I like these is, yes the slide out to make the joint, but only the coupling and you are gluing everything, so it is a rigid repair. Is there anyone out there who hasn't at some point installed a flow span only to have gone back a few days (or hours) later to find out you just missed digging up an elboe and that elboe provided enough movement to cause everything to "pop"?
    Murphy again, I know. Only SOB out there working more overtime than an irrigation tech in a Mid summer drought.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Does the company who makes Dawn cplng's have a website??

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Slip fix repair are great! Compared to the old days of compression couplings they are much more solid. You wanna talk pricey, I worked on a golf course part time a few years ago and a 4" slip fix and a coupling ran about 45 bucks for one simple repair. Adding in a Tee or bushings or a swing joint made it about $100 for a hole easy. Pretty scary, and Im glad it wasn't my wallet...

bicmudpuppy: I'm going to have to look around for those fittings you speak of. I think I may have seen them in an irrigation magazine this winter... Sounds like a winner to keep on hand for repairs.

9. bicmudpuppy

Same company that makes the Dawn quick cut pipe cutters. Don't know that they do or don't have a web addy.

10. jim1504

jim1504 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Thanks for the welcome and for the help! It explains it completely. I was wondering how you could get those .15 cent couplings attached (you can't). :) You guys are great.
    Jim