repairing flats on front castor wheels

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lasher66, May 1, 2005.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,
    I was just wondering if it is ok to put plugs in the front little wheels of ZTR mowers or walk behinds. Since there is no tread on them, I didnt know if it would work. And also, does anyone know of any stores that carry tire bead sealer. I went to Autozone and some other local auto stores and cannot find the stuff. Thanks for your help.

Lasher

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I plug my front tires and it works fine, not sure where you can find a bead sealer at.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

just get the solid tiers and don't worry about flats

4. lasher66

At $80 a tire. Thats quite some money for those little solid tires. Plus I havent had a flat on my front wheels for quite a while until now. So I dont see spending that much. Just carry a tire repair kit and a mini air compressor.

Lasher

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

yes they are pricey but you never have to buy tires again

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

put a bottle of slime in each wheel and no more flats.
    works great, worked on mine.

7. lasher66

Will slime seal bead leaks. One of my walk behind mowers has small leaks right on the bead.

Lasher

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure, bead leaks are usually caused by rust, if the slime gets to the leak area I think it will seal it. I know it seals anything in the rubber.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you put enough slime in to cover the tire bead it should take care of it.
    I purchase my bead sealer from a local NAPA auto parts store,If there isn't one in your area ckeck at your local auto tire stores they should be able to direct you where to find it.

14yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can get Scag rims which you can take apart and replace the tube($6) yourself...it is a real nice design! The other alternative is to go to Discount and they will mount new tire $20.