repairing spindles?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeffex, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

how hard is it to replace the bearing in the blade spindles? $100 for a new spindle seems extreeme when its probably just the bearing worn out!!What is the procedure? toro metro, fixed deck 36"

2. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I couldn't say on a toro, but there usaully pretty simple. on my husky I just take the bolt off the top on the pulley, pop the pulley off punch the shaft down through the bearings, then pop the bearings out. if there sealed bearings(not tapered) you have to make sure they fit tight in the housing, if not you have to replace the whole housing.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. jeffex

thanks for the replys!!!! thats the float deck but probably the same spindle. Just wondering if its worth the trouble to replace the parts or just order the whole unit. I rebuilt a tranny for this mower[replaced keys] with restorobs help last winter so i'm not afraid to tackle most jobs. the bearings are cheap!

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

When you say Toro Metro I see an "Exmark Metro" with a T-handle, fixed deck. I would check J Thomas under Exmark also.

6. jeffex

7. haybaler

from ma

Looks the same as my husky. take the bolt and washer off the top of the pulley and then spray some "PB Blaster(best stuff on the market,it's magnetic)" and let sit for 10 minutes. then find a shaft of almost the same size or a proper thread longer bolt and punch shaft down out of pulley and bearings. do NOT try in any way to pry or hit the pulley off, you will bend it.

8. jeffex

I'll give it a try

9. haybaler

from ma

also don't buy the toro bearings. take one of the old bearins out and go to your local auto parts store, you should be able to get one half price. just try to get one that's made in the US or canada, not china because those use crappy grease in there(actually this only matters if it's a sealed bearing). or check out J thoms price

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Its really easy, just do what haybaler said in his first post. We can take off, rebuild, and re install most spindles in 15 minutes or so. When you pop the bearings out check the housing to make sure the old bearings didn't wear a groove. Other then that your all set.