Repairs and service only

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RollTide, Jun 11, 2013.

1. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

How many of you do repairs and service only? I'm just getting in the irrigation business and since I'll be working solo, and this is a side job to my full time job, I wonder if it would be lucrative to do repairs and service only. I can do installations but it takes a lot longer working by yourself. Especially with limited time.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Probably a good idea starting out and maybe even long term. Installs take a lot more equipment & overhead.

3. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I believe you'll have all the work you want once your name gets out. No one in our small town does repairs and I don't do them unless its an existing lawn customer of mine.

4. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Thanks ArTurf and Sprinkler Buddy!

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

What do you do for your full time job?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe this one:

Crossing-Guard.jpg

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I've installed 4 systems in the last 7 years, so I'm pretty much all maintenance and repairs. I can make 2x - 3x more money by myself in a day doing that than a crew of 5 doing an install and I have repeat business instead of always chasing new installs. I think it's the only way to go.

8. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

I'm a chemical operator working 12hr rotating shifts.

9. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Thanks bcg! Thumbs Up

What little I've done so far I actually enjoy. I like fixing stuff.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

My point, you are going to have a rough time being Joe reliable when one week you are working nights and the next days, some weekends off, some not.

Clients want to feel special, they also want the work done in a timely fashion. Of all of the part timers i know, only 1 does well and that is because he has been the biz since the 70s and just took a state job a few years back.
    Posted via Mobile Device