Repairs and service only

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RollTide, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Jim, with the part of making that special custom feel special, like they are your ONLY customer, even though all they want is you to reprogram there controller TODAY, and for free or 1/2 price.... But service work is the only way to go... That is my .02

2. JeffInTexas

JeffInTexas LawnSite Member

I only do service. It works better for me.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

$$ can be made on installs....but if you have a few hundred accounts and a summer helper I would do service till the cows come home..

IMHO service is the gravy train..installs are for the young bloods..only way to make money is to do X amount of zones in _______ amount of hours.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Service and repairs only for us. We've done 3 installs in 6 years, only when too slow for anything else, and we vetted them thoroughly.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We do both. Although being my 19th season , 90% of installs are on a street we already have customers on.

6. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer repairs and maintaince over installs any day!

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Even though I agree, and that is all we do, I think the frustration levels are higher for repairs and maintenance. Seems like just because we touch the system, they think it should work like perfect forever. If a mechanic works on a junky Pacer to get it operating, it will always be a Pacer - nothing more.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

That is why when I work on a poorly designed system I put a note about deficiencies in the system.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that is system renovation. Not a new install, not really repair and maintenance. Falls somewhere in between and can be very lucrative and challenging.

10. RollTide

RollTide LawnSite Member

Yep! I agree!