Repairs and service only

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RollTide, Jun 11, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That must be a very long street :clapping:
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I do both but the last few yrs the installs are few and far between with the economy around here,but the service side has been really great. I took the 521 out this morning and located a break and fixed the line and wires in about a hour then located 9 valves dug the covers up so they could be seen I was home by 11 $350 in my pocket only used 12 dry con wire nuts so I had about $3 at most plus a gallon of fuel. Customer was happy and so am I. I do have 2 full installs next week in same development side by side so that will be a nice couple of days. But service and blow outs is where its at if you asked me!

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's funny. Actualy we don't have street #s that go into the thousands. Don't even have blocks or a grid.

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I don't touch repairs. Installing is stressful, but I got to sit in the a/c all day. Design, permit, inspection, as built, h/o walk through, get $$$$, repeat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Maintenance, repair and renovation only. After the installers get their a$$es ripped out on the warranty work, the lawn guys come in to tear it up.

We repair and maintain it; it's an annuity check.

Teach a man to do an install, feed him for a day; teach him how to fix and maintain it, feed him for a lifetime :drinkup:

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

It was meant to be.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How do you guys market/ stay busy in service?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Customer referral. I've never advertised one time, have no website and phonebook listing to minimum. I turn down enough work to start another company.

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There is money in installs, you just can't do a few a month and think you are going to be efficient.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. hunterpreferred

hunterpreferred LawnSite Member

We doth both. Install every day, sometimes 2 crews doing separate installs and 3-4 service techs running each day. We do roughly 150 installs per year then they turn into yearly service contracts. I think if you do enough of each they compliment each other well. Plenty of stress and headaches come with whatever you choose.