Repairs and service only

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RollTide, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

+what he said!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Double ditto, installs build-up the the customer service base, meaning: payup

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda the way I always saw it. Ya need to build the base. Not to mention its also enjoyable to work on systems that are not total junk. There is a reason why the guy who originaly put a system is no longer working on it. Several actualy , but many times its because he is no longer in buss.

4. Mike Leary

True, I always tried to juggle cold service calls with normal service on our systems, so the crew would not get burned-out working on junk and start developing bad habits.

5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There definitely a financial barrier into the install game, I think most installers run out of hustle and never make it over the barrier. It's a totally different business than repairs, and if you try to run the install part of your business like a repair you'll go broke. I am not going to divulge the way we play the game, but there is money to be had, it's just a long road. Looking back, I wouldn't do it again, and I got lucky more than once.

I have seen on here more than once that you have to have 100,000 in equipment per truck to run an install crew. Take that advice, if you like going broke. I buy my irrigation equipment from the guys that take out big loans and go broke, and its usually at a bank auction.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen you post.

You must have a large company

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

as long as it's someone else spending the 100K, prior to it going up for auction payup

8. Mike Leary

Not really. If you've got an install rig, say a fresh F-250 with a Royal service body, couple of trenchers, a compressor and testing gear w/parts & tools, I'd say that's a fair price. A lot of commercial guys factor the price into their bid, and then just sell the whole package and start over on the next big box job. :dizzy:

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My #2 ditch witch 255 was bought from a bank.

10. hunterpreferred

hunterpreferred LawnSite Member

I don't post much. I check in once in a while to see what's going on. I think we have a good size company. We actively service around 2300 accounts and usually end up adding around 200 per year between new installs and picking up existing service accounts.