REPAIRS... finally... maybe... could be...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jun 21, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A little history: Elementary school is about 16 years old. First principal had a group of scouts come in and pour a concrete sidewalk across an irrigated zone so there'd be better access to the office without people having to get their feet wet walking through the grass. Problem is, he never notified anyone that the sidewalk was going in. On a Friday there was no sidewalk and on a Monday there was. They poured the sidewalk right over the sprinklers and along a wall that creates a patio for the staff lounge. A couple of years later water started appearing between the cracks of the sidewalk and inside the patio planter (following electrical conduit) every time the zone fired and it started traveling to the exterior wall of the office. This site's buildings are block wall that was neither sealed nor is there any interior vapor barrior. Needless to say mold has been appearing over the years on the interior wall.

Over the past 10 years I've "investigated" this situation at least five times. The valve sets right next to the sidewalk and the lateral line immedaitely goes under the concrete. No chance to cut and cap a lateral supplying the concrete-covered sprinkler heads by the wall. Each time I've recommended: (1) turn the zone off, (2) abandon the existing zone, come off the valve and install completely new sprinklers, or (3) remove the concrete and fix the problematic areas. The answer has always been, "Maybe" or "It's not causing much problems", or "It's too expensive to fix", etc. and nothing has ever been done.

Now the problem has to be fixed because it has come to the attention of district administrators (BTW... the original principal is now an "area administrator" in charge over this site) and we all know what runs downhill. We went out and cut off the lateral line, shut down the Flow Control, cut the solenoid wires and zeroed out the zone on the controller so the valve can neither be manually nor automatically actuated. Now I'll just hold my breath until Maintenance can get out there and saw-cut the concrete so we can remove it and fix the problem once and for all as that's the course of action my boss has elected. We'll see. :dizzy:

Hurley Zone B-10 Problems 6-21-07 IV-01.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Problems 6-21-07 IV-02.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Problems 6-21-07 IV-03.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Problems 6-21-07 IV-04.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Problems 6-21-07 IV-05.jpg

2. PurpHaze

Repairs made in three spots... actually, removed the original swing joints and capped off the 1/2" lateral lines.

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-01.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-02.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-03.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-04.jpg

3. PurpHaze

Pretty easy Monday, all in all. Prolly means that tomorrow will be a real PITA.

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-05.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-06.jpg

Hurley Zone B-10 Repairs 6-25-07 IV-07.jpg

4. Look who's caught the talking to himself bug. Pretty shoddy work. Amazing what can happen when nobody considers the sprinkler system. I've got a gazebo job that was built over spray heads nobody bothered to cap off.:dizzy:

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in April or so, I went to one of the Epilepsy Centers near here for the Spring startup. Water puddling up from under a new looking cement walkway on the side of the building. I start digging and follow the water under the cement walkway slab. Embedded in the cement is the 1" poly line. I glance over to the outside staircase and see a few heads tossed under there.

The cement contractor spun off the heads and poured the walkway right over the zone line. Sixty feet of new cement walkway right over the poly zone lateral line from the zone box.

They do not have the funds to correct the problem. And the cement contractor hasn't fixed it or paid to fix it.

6. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You dig up more concrete than any irrigator in the country!!

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

::cries::

man thats a tuff one....I hate it when people decide to put the cart in front of the horse!!!!

Good luck haze!

8. PurpHaze

Some concrete contractors are sensitive to irrigation while many are not. Often there's a lack of communication between the land owner and the contractor in regards to capping and/or rerouting the irrigation as preparation for the concrete work. I've been out on three concrete projects in the past couple of weeks where we've capped irrigation in project areas. Two other projects proceeded without my knowledge and the contractor capped the sprinkler heads so I hope they hold.

In the case of the job here with the pictures you can see that the "swing joints" were capped off. What they didn't realize was that the swing joint material was absolute crap and the line needed capping. Had that been done there would not have been this 10 year continuous leaking problem.

9. PurpHaze

LOL... guess I'm just blessed. :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

It's basically a lack of communication issue Ed. So many people and contractors think they understand irrigation and then just go about their way doing other things that affect systems without calling in the pros. :)