1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jammin, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Was wondering how many of you do your own repairs.For those that use a repair shop or dealer i was wondering what reasons to use them,and if not what reason to not use repair shops. The reason i ask is i have a back ground in repair and sales and hope to open a shop catering to commercial accounts. Thanks any input wuold be appreciated.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

The reason I would use a repair shop is going into
    motor .Their have the things needed to rebuild etc.
    Or working on mower keeps me from doing schedualed work
    in my own buisiness(need a backup always) Repair buisiness
    make their money one way I make mine another.
    Reasons to do work myself are no money,little or no work available etc.Then it pays me to do it myself.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ill tell you why i DONT go back.When were busy we cut corners, well i do anyway. one thing i do i s take the gaurd off the weedeater, can make the line longer, and u can go quicker. also burns out the clutch about once a year and costs $30 to fix.Its fine to say why it happened, just dont tell them over and over.
  4. GLM

GLM LawnSite Member

I repair everything. There is now way I want to spent $40 per hour for someone else to fix my machines. I have the upper hand on my cometition in this manner. The mechanic(me) is on duty 24-7. I'm lucky that I can do all this stuff and it saves a fortune, not to mention all of my machines are %110. I've seen my competitions equipt. sitting at the shop for days waiting inh line to get repaired. Not to mention I work on my friends stuff to and get a litte money and more importantly I get to use their equiptment as well. Who better to borrow somthing from? They get it back all adjusted and perfect for the small cost of borrowing it. There is a Scag dealer locally that is the exepton to the rule. If you are a commercial guy that does business with him and you have a break down he will literally drop what he is diong to get you back out their cutting, no waiting, he will look at it while you are standing there and get it back on your truck. Dealers like this are far and few between. I think anyone that offers service like this cannot lose.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Matt is mechanically able to repair all of our equipment.
    I actually think he enjoys it. I definitely think it is an added plus that he knows the machinery so well. And of course it saves on money.

GLM: Just wondering if that Scag dealer added that service into the cost of his equipment. We demoed some Exmarks at a dealer. He guaranteed that he too would drop everything and fix a commercial company's equipment and have them back on the road within four hours. But he marked up the prices on his equipment. When we told him that his prices were higher than other dealers, and that we weren't interested in the 4 hour service, he wouldn't lower the cost. For people that don't want to repair their own equipment, they might not mind paying the extra money. But to us, it was foolish to buy from him when we could go elsewhere and get it much cheaper.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I do all my own repair work, but I'm solo (Exmark hydro, LB comm hand mower, plus hand equip). In five years, I had the Exmark back to the dealer one time (carb problem with Kohler in first couple of months). I do buy maintenance parts (belts, hdydro filter) from them. I've never returned to the LB dealer, but have bought parts elsewhere.

I wouldn't go into my Kohler. If it had a major problem, I would buy a replacement engine and mount it myself. Present engine has approx 3000 hrs. I've put new short block on my LB, rebuilt the carb, etc.

I want to know my machines mechanically. I have bought all the necessary manuals for parts, etc.

A local dealer tells me that some trucks/trailers are in his lot a couple of times per week. They do nothing on their equipment, rather drive to the dealer for everything. I'm not of that way of thinking.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

If I didn't do my own repairs I'd be broke. Luckily I'm very mechanically inclined, so its not a problem for me to look at a machine and know what the problem is and how to fix it.