Replace bearing T2510 Shinduaw Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Sep 12, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Has anybody replaced the bearings (#11) in photo? Every time I tried it on Echo I give up. Usually I can find the Echo ones in dealer trash. The grip rings 12 and 14 usually are killers.

Screenshot_2013-09-12-17-55-04.jpg

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I think #14 is a snapring...
    If you remove the rubber isolater..#15...you should be able to get your snapring pliers onto the snapring..
    Once the ring is removed...use a drift punch and a hammer and drive it out..
    Just a guess....I usually bust a few before I figger em out.....

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you got a picture of the tool to get those snap rings out from down in a 1 inch hole and 3 inches deep. I can get the first one out to pull that rubber slug but the next one...?

4. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I found a long nosed snap ring pliers at garage sale several years ago--then ground the sides down on a wheel grinder, leaving them just big enough to not bend. They now reach way down in the hole--it's still not easy, but works better than anything I've tried before. If I remember, tomorrow I'll go out to the shop and take a picture. Never posted with a picture before, but I'll give it a try. Also, I don't remember the brand of pliers, really doesn't make a difference, but will furnish as much info as I can.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah...
    I ain't never had those wear out but some years ago I bought a parts box off Ebay that contained several complete assemblies and I recall looking at that mess thinking, I'll hang on to these just in case that crap ever wears out I'll just replace it whole, I can tell you I'm not usually scared of mechanic repairs but some things get to a point when it's just too much headache for me.

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

T'aint nuttin' to it! But ya gotta have the right tool. I use the same set-up GlynnC uses. I think mine are made by Mac, they're long and made outta flat stamped steel. Modified 'em the same way, work like a charm.
    I have the Stihl special tool made for those snap rings, but the home made version works a hellava lot better.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

ericg likes this.
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is why I pick up these when I am at shop, but no shinda ones. Oh the good news it is C clip so that will be easier. But like somebody pointed out the bearings won't just slide out. Got to down in almost 3 inches on echo not as deep on shinda.

20130913_153002.jpg

10. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ed....yer makin them Echos look tuff....
    If you remove the 2 screws on the tube clamp..the 2 aluminum pieces come right out....then the rubber isolater pulls right out..
    That'll give you a lot more room to work.....its a piece of cake....