Replace Belt on Toro 21

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gulfstreme, Apr 22, 2006.

1. gulfstreme

gulfstreme LawnSite Member

How do I get in there to replace the drive belt on my Toro 21 with Kawasaki 2 Cycle Engine.. I took the 3 bolts out of the cover underneath but thats as far as I got.. do I have to take the plate, that the blade attaches to, off?

2. gulfstreme

Sorry, I meant Suzuki 2 Cycle engine.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, You have to remove everything to get the belt from around the crankshaft pulley.

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

As far as I know Kaw never did make a 2 cycle for Toro. The only two cycle that I've seen on a Toro is a Suzuki. Unfortunately the Suzuki is found only on the commercial push the last that I was aware.

From what you have indicated thus far, I am assuming that you have a blade clutch model. If this indeed the case, the first thing that will need to be done it to remove the idler pulley by removing the 1/4 X20 bolt making sure to note the spacer bushing between the idler and clutch flange. Remove the 15/16 crankshaft nut which retains the brake drum/bearing assembly. Remove the flywheel and the drive pulley will be exposed. Note that there is a round boss on the pulley which must fit in the slot in the flywheel when reassembled. There is a little pressed piece in the bottom of the drive pulley preventing it from riding up on the crankshaft. Upon reassembly, if the round boss is not in the slot in the flywheel the pulley will be forced up the crankshaft while at the same time breaking the little pressed in stop. Replacing the belt should not be a problem. If you are replacing the drive belt, I would replace the clutch belt at the same time. I believe the clutch belt is part# 42-0088.

Dutch

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good post Dutch, It's been around 10 yrs. since I done one and couldn't remember exactly what needed to come off. Getting old is hell.....

6. gulfstreme

Thanks for the help.. It does not have a blade clutch.. plain jane toro/suzuki 21" commercial.

There is a plate that the blade attaches to holding a cover on underneath.. It looks like I need to remove the plate but I can't figure out how.. is there a special tool or a puller needed?

7. gulfstreme

Thats the plate in the middle there:

[​IMG]

That lookin in the hole where the belt comes out:

[​IMG]

8. dutch1

from Jayhawk

If you don't have a blade clutch, all that there should be is a blade adaptor as I recall. If in doubt, go to www.toro.com with your model and serial number. You can find a parts breakdown there which may be of some help.

9. dutch1

from Jayhawk

You must have been posting pictures while I posted. The blade adaptor is most likely corroded to the end of the crank with rust. Squirt the hole with a rust buster(I use Kroil) and let it set over night. If you have access to a pneumatic hammer, put the blade bolt in nearly all the way, then pull on the blade adapter while at the same time hit the blade bolt with the air hammer. You could also use some heat if you wrap the crankshaft with a couple of wet shop rags to prevent heat transfer to the lower crank seal.

10. gulfstreme

That worked!

I looked up Model 22040 and under engine assembly drawing it shows the part that I can't remove as #14 Retainer Blade part # 52-2170

Looks like that thing should back outta there somehow.