replace Engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brentsawyer, May 30, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 Scag TT with about 1000 hours STT52-22KA, it is overheating since I let the radiator run dry for a brief moment and has 125lbs pressure out of one cylinder adn 150 out of the other. I found a replacement on the internet for $1550 delivered new. I could risk replacing the heads only for about half, what would you do.

2. Ross in IL

Ross in IL LawnSite Member

Honestly I don't think the heads are where you're losing compression. Low compression in your head means bad valve sealing. Or I guess you could have warped your head from overheating (Can you see any signs of leaks?). You might have scored your cylinder also. If you want a rough idea of where your problem is at try adding a tea spoon of oil to the weak cylinder. If your compression goes up its the piston/rings if it stays the same it's the valves. I can't honestly say though which one to do. If it were me I'd check the condition of the bore, if it weren't too bad I'd hone it and put in new rings. A new engine would be quicker though and take out any guess work. In the end its up to you what your down time is worth.
    Hope this helped
    Ross