Replace motor or get a new machine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by M&E LAWNS, Apr 26, 2003.

1. M&E LAWNS

M&E LAWNS LawnSite Member

Gentlemen,

I have a grasshopper with a 25 kohler motor that is on it's last legs. I have almost 1800 hrs on it. A motor might cost somewhere in the $1600. The real question is, do I replace the motor, or for $5000 more buy a new ztr? Maybe even finance the new machine.

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

that depends, do you have the money to get a new machine, how is the rest of the machine holding up. there are a lot of factors that come into play. Do whatever will help your buissness grow. newer is always better cause technology is chnaging. good luck

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why can't you have the motor rebuilt?

I find it difficult to believe that a motor with 1800 hours on it is totally spent. Unless you didn't maintain it very well.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned 2 Grasshoppers. The first lost a hydro pump at about 1500 hrs, the second lost a wheel motor at 1100 hrs. What I'm saying is that with that many hours on it you'd probably be better off getting a new Exmark or Dixie Chopper. I think they BOTH cut better than the Grasshopper anyway.

5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, i would opt for the new mower, but I'm solo. Your profile says you have 5 employees, so with that in mind (hired help usually are harder on equipment) would be looking more at replacing the motor if the rest of the mower is in decent shape. $1600 on a new motor now will more than pay for itself and a NEW MOWER in 2 years. You should have had some idea how long you would want to keep that mower when you bought it. i decided when I bought my z that at 3 years it will probably be gone if I can justify it when that time comes. i know it has to do with profit, income, and need, but you should be planning new equipment purchases well in advance not spur of the moment. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Marc