replace mower or the employee

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmizer, Apr 11, 2004.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

I have purchased a new exmark 48" walkbehind with the ECS controls with the intention of it being used for my one and only employee. The problem is he just can not get used to the ECS controls, its like he has never been on a mower before! had no problem with pistol grips or using super surfer. I do not want to replace him excellant worker,dependable. I guess the question is should i replace the mower with something he is more comfortable using or just have him deal with what he has?

P.S. he had no objections at the time i purchased it

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Did he get to use it before he decided he had no problem with it?

A good employee is hard to find. It may be better to cut yer losses with the mower and get one with pistol grips. That would be far cheaper than some lazy employee that you'd end up with. Just make sure this guy isn't being lazy or trying to prove some point.

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

48" exmark walk behind : $4500.00

Exellent, dependable employee : PRICLESS

Give him a week or so and see how he does. It will fairly easy to replace the mower but a good employee will be hard to replace, and replacing him with a not so good employee will end up costing you way more than a new mower.

4. snowmizer

He had never used one before but said it should be easy to get used to. I have seen him on it in my yard and im afraid to send him out on someone else's. I do not know if it would be his height around 5'4 but he is very uncomfortable with it. I guess it would be easier to replace the mower.

5. snowmizer

gravedigger 5,
    well put! I think if he slows it down and takes his time it will come to him. just needs to get used to it.I personally like the ECS controls but i will not be running it.

6. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

The ECS controls work the same exact way as pistol grips ther just inverted to a more comfortable position. If you can work pistols you should have no problem using Ecs. Have you seen this guy run other mowers? Are you using a sulky?

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if he was good with pistol,,he ll get just as good with the new mower.. the quality of most machines is determined by how well the user knows a particular machine.
    in any case ,m,if i had an employee that was like yours. he would get what ever mower he could do his best work with..
    finding a good dependable, honest employee that can do good work ..
    lets just say u can go thru a fifty workers and not find one. jmo

8. snowmizer

big ed,
    yes he has been with me for 2 years and i have seen him operate(had a lesco pistol grip that he used) and had demoed a wright stander and super surfer with no problems, now this mower he has a problem with. Maybe he is looking to move on or something just seems a little strange that he is so against it. yes we are using a sulky but he has not used it yet (just put it on) maybe that will change his mind?I would not have bought the mower had i know this was going to happen as i said i let him know beforehand anyhow...

9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

give him more time to get the hang of it.

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

With more time on the machine he will get the hang of it and in a couple of weeks you guys will be laughing about it hang in there some things just take time.