Replace mulch with...?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jskibi, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jskibi

jskibi LawnSite Member

I have an area in front of our home that is mulched, roughly 40 foot long x 8 foot wide. The builder placed mulch and we just kept adding every year. Well here in South Dakota, the wind constantly displaces the mulch. We like the look of the red mulch, but would like something that would stay put. We have considered red lava rock directly over the mulch. BTW, there is a weed barrier already in place.

What would be a colorful alternative that needs less maintenance? And, can it be placed directly over the mulch?

Thanks, Joe

2. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I noticed the other day Lowe's and Home Depot have started selling red and brown mulch made from shredded rubber. From old tires I believe. It's supposed to last about 8 years. It's somewhat pricey, but it may serve you well. Just a thought. As for me personally, I have never cared for rock or Lava rock as a mulch. I have 2 kids and I'm quite certain it would constantly be in my lawn. Thus, torn up lawnmowers and busted windows.

3. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Oh, and yes, you can put anything directly over your existing mulch. It's gonna rot anyway.

4. jskibi

jskibi LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll look into it today!