Replace Sprinklers again!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CleanCutLawns, Oct 31, 2005.

1. CleanCutLawns

CleanCutLawns LawnSite Member

Well I have this customer that I picked up a couple of months ago. His 1 acre lawn was dead and I got it up and getting green by the end of the first month. I replaced sprinkler heads that were damaged and had his watering schedule adjusted right. Customer has been happy with the progress. He and his wife left to Las Vegas for a week and his son and grandchildren were house sitting until they got back.

Well I pull up on Friday and see that 5 of his sprinkler heads are knocked out or torn apart. Seems like the kids have had soccer practice with them. I told the son so that he would let his father know when he got back from Vegas to give me a call so I can replace them.

I do mostly lawn maintanence and would like to know what is the going rate to replace sprinkler heads? Last time I changed two rotory heads for $60 including the price of heads.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You mean you're getting paid $60 each from the customer?

In that case, 3-4 years ago the rate was about 50 each so I think you're on target.

3. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

I repair/replace the sprinkler heads as a courtesy... Makes them happy when all the other lco's don't do irrigation.. But if the need them moved that's a different story....

4. CleanCutLawns

It was $60 to replace two. So the going rate is $50 each? Thats just for picking up the new heads and screwing them in to existing pipe right. So if the pipe is snapped add a little more?? Thanks for the info.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

watch the kid will blame it on you

6. CleanCutLawns

Yeah I thought about that, and hopefully the last two months of our business relationship and my work ethics will stand for themselves and he would think twice of accusing me of that. But you never know...............

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rotary heads cost about $16 ...how are you getting to $30 simply to screw it on the thread. Better get it approved from customer first. I won't charge $30 if I had to glue in a new tee and slip connector. But maybe you location charges more??

8. CleanCutLawns

Well I figured the trip to the depot to pick up heads stand in line and back is time and time is money...

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

$50 service call fee for the first half and hour.
    $22 per rotor head (let's say for the two 2 heads you replaced earlier)
    $94 total
    This would be my price

This should take you 30 minutes max to replace and adjust. But if you're doing it when you mow, you might not charge the full service call rate or full labor rate. These are our rates, and we are a sprinkler repair company only - no mowing, no landscaping, no sprinkler install. Yours may differ.

10. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

25.00 bucks per head, even if we hit them...those nelson's always stay up, nothing you can do to avoid them. We never replace or do anything for free?