Replace Starter on Exmark Lazer HP w/21hp Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ohuett, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

Good starter went bad on my Exmark Lazer HP 48" w/21hp Kawasaki. I've got the new starter in and will install it tonight. It seems really easy...2 bolts and one hot wire. Is there anything that is going to trip me up? I'm not a "mechanical" person at all...I'm a "computer geek". Is there anything I should know before I just bolt it back on and connect the hot wire to it?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Billsz28

Billsz28 LawnSite Member

Disconnect the ground from the battery before you continue with anything else. It really is just as easy as you described. Reconnect ground to battery after installation is complete
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

OK...thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought to do that!
  4. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

Well, I replaced the starter without too much trouble. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem I was having. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this:

I was about 3/4 of the way done w/mowing my yard on Saturday afternoon when I ran out of gas. My lawnmower just died as I was it does anytime I run one tank out of gas. I fill the tank back up with gas and try to start it again. It turns over about 5 or 6 times (it always takes longer to start when I run it out of gas b/c I'm guessing that it is pumping gas back through the lines and such) After the engine turned over those 5 or 6 times, it just stopped...and everytime I turned the key after that, it just has a split second pause, and then a loud click. (I've had this happen before on an older car of mine and it was the starter...I just figured that the starter had given out after all these years b/c my engine has seemed to turnover slower now) So I ordered the part, got it in today, installed it, and I still just get a split second pause and then the "clicking" sound when I turn on the key. Any ideas on what I should replace/check next? I'm stumped.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
  5. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Replace the mechanic :laugh::laugh::laugh: Next logical guess would be the starter solenoid, if in fact it has one. That is what clicks, and on a car they are "usually" intergrated into the starter. You should check both ends of the ground cable also.
  6. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

How is the battery?
  7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You need to put the battery on a SLOW 1amp charger overnight.
    Or hook up jumper cables from the truck to it and try to start it but watch out for shorts!
  8. ohuett

ohuett LawnSite Member

Ricky86...I laughed really hard at the "replace the mechanic" joke!! Good one.

Update: I jumped the solenoid and the engine turns over...I guess it's time to replace the solenoid. Thanks for the help!
  9. Billsz28

Billsz28 LawnSite Member

Same symptoms can occur with a dead battery or loose +\- cables
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yep, checking for loose cables should have been #1 on the list. Happened to me on a brand new truck.