1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replace starter?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Sep 4, 2004.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

We have several mowers at our campus. One I worked on today had blades badly damaged.

The other one is totally dead. It has a good battery, so that's not the problem. It acts like the classic bad solenoid situation.

Got to tracing wires today, and found that the positive battery terminal runs to the bottom of the starter. No sign of a solenoid.

Whatis the fix for these type units? New starter???
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Its got to have something to control the power to the starter. The starter is grounded when bolted up. If that hot wire runs from battery to starter with no break in between, the starter would be turning continuously until it burned up or the battery lost charge.
  3. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Agreed. Just wonder if they're now putting the solenoid inside the starter cases. There's something, somewhere, that performs the solenoid function.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a very good possibility the starter is wired properly. If it is a Kohler engine, the newer starters are wired directly to the battery and the yellow wire from the starter will energize the selenoid.

5. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll check it out as soon as I can. I live in Pensacola, so we're going to be catching some weather tomorrow. May not get to it for a few days, but I'll report back.
  6. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Well, the solenoid is not inside the starter case. That's the good news. The bad news is I have a very bad feeling it's hidden away up under the center console.

And, this means I'll probably have to pull the deck to even get to the solenoid. Pulling those decks is no fun at all. It's not hard or difficult, just a pain the patootie. Accessing the draft arm pins and disconnecting from the deck drive belt is no fun whatsoever.

I was able to check out the safety switch iin the seat. It's a normally closed switch, and when you take weight off the seat, it opens. Ours is OK.

What I haven't found is the PTO lock out switch. I have a feeling it too is up under the center console, and will require the deck coming out to give me access to check it.
  7. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

You guys working on these mowers at the campus need to get some tech manuals. Saves ya lots of heart ache and lost time.
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I told you on Yahoo to try raising the seat and removing the battery and looking under the battery. Have you did that? Post make and model numbers and/or pictures and some one will be able to point you straight to it.
  9. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

Doing the checks tomorrow. I can narrow it down to either a bad starter or a bad solenoid, I think.

Make is Yardman. Model is 13AS675H302. I'll see if a can get some digi pics.
  10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That is an old 675 machine. The solenoid is right in front of the seat. Remove the metal plate where the gear shift goes though and the solenoid is right in fornt of the seat. See picture. It is item number 88 in the picture

MDT 675.JPG
    vipermanz likes this.