1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replace the shrubs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did landscaping work for an elderly lady. about 2 months later, she passed on, sweet lady. well, about 4 months later i recieved a call from her son. he said the house was sold, but 2 of the shrubs i put in were dead. he requested that i bring and plant 2 new shrubs AT HIS HOUSE , in order to honor the guarentee on the shrubs. i was baffled. would you have brought him the new plants?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Bob, first, ---do you offer a replacement guarantee on your green material?

second-- if you do, then the shrubs should be replaced at the original location ONLY. Let the scumbag dig them up after you leave if that's what he wants.

We only guarantee plant material if we get the maint. contract for after care. We don't get any kind of guarantee from our wholesale nursery, but on avg., we lose less than 2% of their stock. It's usually client negligence, hence the reason we don't guarantee it if we don't service it.
  3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with impactlandscaping, (scumbag might be a little harsh - how about cheapskate).
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, maybe scumbag was a little harsh choice of wording, how about... cheapazz??That has a better ring, huh?? Have a good one guys. It's time to go drive around and check on jobs:D
  5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this lco that give a warranty on the plants they install, but he charges double for the plants and they really only do commericals!
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I reading this right?? So the dead shrubs in question are at his dead mothers house, which neither she nor he lives in, and he wants you to replace those dead shrubs by putting them in a completely different yard??? That's ridiculous. I think you should feel insulted.

A guarantee does not even apply here for several reasons: first of all, he is not his mother. Second is the difference of location. Also, look at the time you planted the shrubs vs. death of the lady vs. bogus request for replacement? Lots of neglect takes place at a property where a death has occurred. . .
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Guy is either seriously whacked in the head or has some very large cajones IMO...
  8. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO... on that one !!!

Bobbyged, actually, if you guaranteed the shrubs I would tell the guy you will replace them and re-plant them at his mothers house. If he/her son wants them, just make an arrangement to meet him somewhere and give them to him face to face. There is no-way I would plant them for the guy, unless he lives next door or very close by.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is no way in "H E" double L hockey sticks I would do that. In fact I would rip him a new one for trying something like that
  10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

****** hit the nail on the head.

By the way I offer a full 1 year guarantee on all plants I install. The garden center I buy from guarantees the plants for one year. Since I keep all my receipts for tax purposes all I need to do is dig up a receipt and bring back the dead plant for a free replacement. So essentially all I am guaranteeing is the labor. I can only think of a few occasions I have had to replace a plant.

Offer your condolences for his mothers passing, and tell him nicely that since she is deceased there no longer is a warranty.