1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replace Trailer floor boards

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by watatrp, Oct 9, 2006.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure many of you have done this. I have a 16' long open landscape trailer and need to replace the wood floor. 16' long 2x10's. What's the easiest way to replace these? They fit into a channel at both ends. Do I need to cut the top of the channel off on one end?
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Cutting the channel is the easiest way to do it. After replacing the boards just weld a short line down each cut.
  3. exmark72

exmark72 LawnSite Member

do u mean channel on the front and back or channel one each side? if on the side place one in each chaneel and work towards the middle if front and back just cut and weld
  4. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Why cut and weld? Just flex the board into the channel. A 16 foot long 2x10 will flex enough to clear and inch or so of channel.
  5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced mine this summer by cutting them to fit, minus about an inch. Then I slid, at an angle, as many as I could into the channels. I sarted with the boards on each side, working to the middle. (You may have to wiggle them across, into place.) The final two in the middle, (I think two), I inserted one end in the channel and put a jack, like a floor jack, about 1/3 of the way from that end. I raised the jack pad, with a block of wood on it, until the board was pointing upward toward the "unchanneled" end. I walked on the board until it bowed down in line with the mouth of the channel. I as I stood there, my wife let the jack down slowly until the board was in the channel and the jack was down and clear. The boards will bow enough to get them in. Just be careful and watch your fingers.
  6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I just replaced the boards on my trailer a few months ago. 2 people it shouldn't be more than a few hours. Cut a piece out of the middle of 1 end of the trailer. One guy on each end of the board with a sledgehammer and you are set.
  7. tank99_999

tank99_999 LawnSite Member

what kind if wood are you using? how thick?wide?
  8. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have replaced several floors on my own, and it only took about an hour by myself. You don't need to cut anything. Like someone said before the boards will bend (flex) enough to fit into both ends with out cutting. Doesn't take long.
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm... On my trailer and on my dads, the front channel is bolted on. All I need to do, is un-bolt remove and set the wood in. But for some reason, none of my boards are rotted or ate up with termites. I guess there treated pretty good.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Replacing the boards is simple with two people. You put one end in the channel and a jack under the trailer in the middle of the board. One person jacks up the board the other persons put weight on the other end until it slips into the channel. Done a bunch easy as 1-2-3. You will need a big piece of wood to go from the jack to the board so you can get enough rise out of the jack. You have to bend the board up about 15" to shorten it enough for it to fit into the channel.