Replace Weeds with Grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Pistol, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I have been asked to quote reseeding a backyard. Pretty straight forward (one would think) except when I got to the property the entire backyard was weeds - not 1 blade of grass. Chickweed everywhere, other weeds 2 foot high. This is what I'm thinking:

1) round-up everything - let it sit for maybe 2 weeks (to kill the seeds :confused:)

2) rake everything out

3) wait another 2 weeks - round-up again

4) Rake / clean out again

5) aerate & slitseed / lime & Fert.

Doing it like this, I'll probably get killed on price by someone coming in 1 app. of round up and aerating and throwing out seed, but I like to do things right.

Any thoughts / advice / ideas?

2. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

here are a few pics of the yard

0420101042-00.jpg

0420101040-00.jpg

0420101041-01.jpg

0420101041-04.jpg

0420101041-05.jpg

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Mow it, Roundup, after 7days, mow again as short as you can. Remove residue, but only if necessary. Add irrigation. Slit seed immediately. Starter fert. Fert with weed control at 4 weeks and 8 weeks. Get rid of that Scotts spreader on deck.

4. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Riggle - why mow first- wouldn't you want the round-up to contact as much leaf surface as possible?

5. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

More leaf surface=more round up needed.

Chop it all down, rake it and bag it up, spray it a few time and then proceeed to the next step.

It is going to take a few sprays to kill all that I can almost guarantee it. Talk about a mess.

6. socallawndude

socallawndude LawnSite Member

Use a bunch of surfactant too, thats what really makes roundup work

7. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Dude,
    if I'm using a 4 gal BP sprayer, how much Palmolive should I use? I was just reading that a lot of guys use dish soap, but they didn't list an amount.

Thanks for your help,
    Pistol

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use about a tablespoon detergent per gallon. But in larger sprayers you may have a foaming problem.

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Riggle - I'm a michigan native, but been gone 25 years - still got a sister in Greenville and parents & brother in Lansing. MSU Spartan "84" graduate. You always post good info.

Would you use dish soap (plain old palmolive is what I have) or is there a specific surfactant that you use with glyphosate?

Great memories of the Grand Haven / Holland beaches. Took my wife to Harbor Springs several years ago and she said we needed to buy a retirement home there - i need more yards to buy something in Harbor Springs - especially on the beach - many more -HA!