1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replace your Air Filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, May 17, 2004.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new engine on my 48" Encore WB almost a year ago, haven't yet replaced air filter. This Saturday was mowing a yard that was 5 inches long and the thing was coughing out black smoke, i try adjusting the choke but that isn't the answer. I finish up that lawn and go to the next. We get there and the thing is running horrible. So I give my mechanic a call and he comes over. It turns out the air filter was the problem. Didn't have a replacement so just took it out and it was then twice as powerful.....JUST A REMINDER TO CHANGE YOUR AIR FILTER
  2. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

That is part of my Spring parts stock pile.

2 or 3 Extra air and fuel filters for all of the machines that needs them.

I have never it as bad as it has been this year. I have already replaced the filters once on all of the push mowers and walk behinds.

I cant really call it dust. It is more like pollen. Whatever it is it is sticky as all get out and the air filters have been cloged with the stuff. I have taken the paper filters that I have changed and washed them with a garden hose and lay up to dry out. I can not afford to buy a new filter for all of the machines every week... :(
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Hope he charged you a service call too! LOL!
  4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

DUH! :dizzy:

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

GrassBustersLawn- Make it simple, just list that you have enough equipment.
  6. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

Change your oil too, it might be like tar by now... if there is any?
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I recommend the purchase of a hourmeter. You can get them from many of the online supply houses like www.j-thomas.com, www.landscapersupply.com, local places like Sears or many mower dealers. Install the hourmeter, change the oil every 25 hours, change the oil filter every 50 hours and check the air filter every 25 hours and replace as needed or when the foam wrap is worn out from cleaning it. You absolutely need to get a maintenance schedule and routine in place.
  8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Every night when you get home tap the air filter out , sharpen the blades , clean off the underside of the deck. Change the oil every few weeks, new spark plug and fuel filter every 6 months.

These things only take a few mins but will make the mower run forever
  9. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I just got a new Turf Tracer HP and after two cuts I had the same problem. If you cut a yard that is very dusty this happens more often.
  10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance is the key to not only your business, but also your equipment.