Replaced Exmark Spindles Again.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SamIV, Jan 28, 2005.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

The first set were replaced at 440 hours. Now the second time around at 660 hours. Feel that this is pretty pathetic. This is on a 44" HP used only on small residential accounts. I don't run it through puddles of water and I don't wash under the deck. Only one of the three had a slight bend. Shouldn't these last longer than 220 hours.

SamIV

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 1800+ hours on my 48" Lazer. Still has original spindles.

Mike

3. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Greetings- Do you know exactly which bearings were on these spindles and Do you run in any sandy areas?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've replaced the left spindle bearings twice and the right bearings once on my Metro 36. I can't tell you the hours but it's under 1,000. Two things to note:

1: Exmark no longer sells just the bearings. If you go to your local Toro dealer and tell them you need Toro part number XXXX (insert Exmark part number here) they can get the bearings. Been there, done that.

2: You can drill and tap the housing for a grease zerk fitting under the deck and stop this no grease foolishness. Just make sure the grease fittings are pointing towards the discharge chute.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Yes I've replaced bearings on our 48" a few times and one mower was in its first year.

I did exactly what you said in number 2 but I didn't make sure fittings are pointed toward the discharge shute ... is this going to be a problem?

edit: Sam .. I know with ours that they were being washed underneath and also ... if the blades aren't properly balanced this could screw up a bearing.
    Take the bearing to any bearing shop and they can match it up...no need to go to a dealer at all.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The reason I do that is to decrease the chance that a rock or something could get thrown at the fitting. It's more important on the right hand spindle than the left.

7. Definitely not normal. You should get at least 1000 hrs out of them. 1500 hrs is more like the norm. I hope there being replaced for free. The down time sucks. Ask for all new spindle housings. How is the deck belt? Does it wear out that fast?

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Drill and tap the spindle housings for grease zerks. Keep them greased and the bearings will last a long time. Grease them every time you change the oil and you shouldn't have any more problems. The bearings should last 1500 hours or more if you keep them greased.

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Geez thanks ... I never thought about anything hitting them. I don't know why. Must have had tunnel vision when I was thinking of ways to solve this challenge....We mulch 90% of the time. Will have to keep an eye on them.

Another question ... the bearing in there is sealed, my thought process on installing the grease nipples was that the grease will still get forced in there. Should I be looking at installing a different type of bearing?

10. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Vibrations from blades being out of balance will reduce the life of a spindle .
    Check the balance on each blade.