Replaced motor on jd 737

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 24/48, Oct 11, 2008.

1. 24/48

24/48 LawnSite Member
    from TX

Just got my mower back today. I replaced my motor on my jd 737 that blew last week. They replaced it with the newer 23 hp kawi and did some other maintenance to while in there - front wheel bearing, spindles, belts, idler pulley, etc... The guy at the jd house ended up saving me about $800 off the original price. Just wanted to say the new ride is awesome. You never know how bad it is until it is running right. I had given up on ol deere but now back to loving it. The mower is running great and cant wait to mow next week. Go deere.

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I'm very familiar with the 737 engine problems!

3. ixlr8

ixlr8 LawnSite Member

I am looking at a used 727a, what are the issues with the 737 and is it possible the 727 has the same issues?

TIA

4. QualityLawnCare4u

I have not heard of any problems with the 727 with premature engine failure. The 727 has a vertical while the 737 has the horizontal shaft engine. If I could fine a brand new 717/727 I would not be scared of either but not any other deere model.

5. 24/48

24/48 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I heard that they are having alot of problems with the new model that replaced the 737, don't remember the model number. I have been happy with my 737 until last week, now I have learned about all the problems, and how expensive it is to repair. Although I really like my jd, if I have any more problems its gone and I am going to buy a scag. Went a test drove one last week when I was just about to throw away the jd because of the price of the motor. They worked with me but now I know what my next mower will be.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Very wise decision. I too, was a die hard deere fan until the last month of owning a 737 and dealing with a top notch crook of a dealer!