Replacemenet for fb460v?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wizzard933, Feb 11, 2005.

1. wizzard933

wizzard933 LawnSite Member

Need to know what kohler engine replaces the kawasaki fb460 v?

Fb 460v es36
    fb460va88004

2. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

CH12.5-17 will all fit where the Kawasaki is now. The only thing with any of these is on the larger HP, I think starting at the 15 or 16 the mounting bolts step up to a size larger than the FB and the smaller CH's. Sometimes one has to drill the frame for these. The CH12.5 or 13 would make a great replacement.

Mike

3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Mikemerrit pretty much hit the nail on the head. You didn't say what size the mower deck is though. I have used the Kohler's for years now, if you have a 48" or larger I would go with the ch 15. 36" or less the ch 13 is fine.

-Paul

4. wizzard933

Can someone give me a model number for the kohlers that will replace the kawasaki.And by the way it has elecrtic clutch and pull starter not electric start.Would replace with another kawasaki but i have found them to really suck but thats just my opinion. :)

Fogot to say its off a 36 in.scag and bought it in 1998.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

7 years can be a long time to run an engine. How many hours do you estimate you put on the engine.

6. wizzard933

Well i bought it brand new in 1998 and its been sitting in my garage since 2000.It only had a little over 200hrs on it.Had another scag with same motor and same results.It got harder and harder to start until it would not start anymore.Have two buntons one a 1995 the other 2002 both have 18 horse kohlers and never a problem.The 95 has over 2000hrs on it and never a problem same with newer one.I have known alot of people that had the fb460v engine and everyone has told me the same they are not a good motor and to replace with a kohler.

7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Many consider the 460V the best small motor ever built! A bit under powered by todays standards but they were hard to kill.

8. wizzard933

,THANK`S
    Scag model#SW36 13KA
    ENGINE#FB460VES36
    FB460VA88004

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The FB460V is probably one of the toughest engine ever used on m/s mowers.

10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a FB460 on an Exmark that has over 2500 hours. It burns a little bit of oil but still starts on the first pull.