replacement cables for a rear trailer door

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ericg, Nov 3, 2006.

1. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Can anyone tell me an easy way to adjust the cables that operate the back door of an enclosed landscape trailer? The trailer has the two torsion springs mounted on the ceiling at the rear of the trailer. It seems that when I adjust one cable the other becomes slack. Thanks.....

2. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Let A Pro Do It. Can You Say Accident Waiting To Happen?
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I tried it and just made it worse. So called a garage door guy out of the phone book, he was there in a couple of hours and it cost me less than 100 bucks.
  4. crash935

crash935 LawnSite Member

It takes a certain touch to get the cables set right with the proper and even tension, let a pro do it!!!
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can actually run with just one cable if you have one torsion spring, but you indicated you had two? We took the one cable off becasue it was always being hit while loading/unloading and we haven't had any problem. The spring is very easy to control using two 12" pieces of rebar that fit into the holes in the hub that is made for winding up the spring.

Better get yourself a replacement torsion spring those are hard to come by and it takes two people to raise those rear doors.