Replacement dethatcher tines?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 22, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Where can I find replacement spring steel tines for a tine rake dethatcher (non powered unit) such as a JRCO or MTD/Brinly/etc. unit? Is there a website that sells just the tines only? I would like to just build my own similar to a JRCO but they do not make a model for a 52" (closest match is 46" or on upto 60" model). The 46" isn't wide enough and 60" is too wide.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

bhb, go to your local farm equipment dealer. They will have tines for balers or hay rakes that are exactly what you are looking for and much cheaper. I get mine at TSC

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks. How much are you paying each if you can convert to US currency that would be nice. Thanks,
    Eric

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The thing about those tines, is that they are so big. They're really to blunt to do an effective job. I think your best bet would be just get the JRCO tines. They're not that badly priced for the sets.
    For that matter though, why dont you just look into the JRCO dethatcher? You say 60" is too bige for your 52" mower, but the fact of the matter is, is most of the time you use this piece of equipment, you're not mowing anyway. I don't, anyway. The reason being is, after you're done with the rake, you always wnt to clean your corners up so the mower can reach the stuff to gather it. Another reason, (and a good one) is that if you rake over an entire area with the tine rake, it sits on top and dries making it much easier to gather and handle. So WHAT if your rake is 60", that just means quicker work with less passes. I WOULD say that even if you DID want to mow and gather the stuff as you raked it, you could, you'd just have a little overlap, but then I thought that on the outside, you would still overlap that didn't get gathered by the mower as it is raked again. Anyway, if it was THAT big of an issue, you could remove some of the outer tines to match the width of your mower. But still, I think you're better of just using the full width and gathering it afterwards.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

bhb, the pick up tines from a combine are as small as the jrco ones. I'm not sure what I paid for the last set but they were from John Deere and fit onto a 1 1/2" pipe. I also have another dethatcher that has the heavier tines that I use more to loosen up soil before broadcasting grass seed. Our TSC stocks about 10 different types of tines I just picked out the "weakest" ones.

6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I found Jrco tines at Jerrys small engine on the web @ 1.80 ea
    I think Lesco sells them also. The tines have to drag along the ground so be careful trying to use the wrong tines. hay baler tines would be too tough. all tines get metal fatigue after a lot of use so I replace mine all at once after a few start breaking and use to old ones for spares.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Runner, plan of action is bag it while I thatch it. Have you ever known me to buy something I could make just as easily but cheaper? LOL. Sounds like I will be spending less than $100 on it anyway which is 1/4 the price of the 46" model. I'll probably build my own jumbo catcher too.
    cantoo, thanks again man!
    lawns and stump, thanks I'll look Jerry's up.