Replacement drive lugs for ASV/Cat

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I just bought an rc30(to sell), and I am thinking of installing some new lugs to replace a few lugs that are missing. The outside of the track is in great condition... these just might do the trick. What do yall think?

http://bairproductsinc.com/products/part_ll.html

2. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity, how many hours on the clock? I own a 30, and didn't think it would have the power to tear out lugs. All in how the machine is ran I guess. If you do buy the repair lugs, keep me posted as to the quality, and durability. Thanks in advance.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

It has just under 2000hrs. I imagine if the tracks wern't aligned or at the correct tension at one point or another they could get excessive wear.

Do you know how much aftermarket tracks are? An asv dealer quoted me 1500 per track.

4. kklick

kklick LawnSite Member
    from ohio

5. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Also as the lugs begin to dry rot some they become brittle and can snap off easier. Running at the wrong tension is a sure way to also shorten the life out of them.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember right Cat states that lug wear/ breaking is most often caused by hard side hilling. Lots of side pressure, although thats one reason you buy a track machine, to work in the more adverse conditions that a wheeled loader won't work in.

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I think is caused by running the tracks too loose and the lugs try to drive up over the sprocket when you turn the machine. I've tested this on my RC50. Running the tracks too tight only robs hp and stresses drive components. I will reach 2000 hours soon and my lugs are still in good shape however I do have some wear on the outside of my tracks where the rollers are. I know a guy who owned a CAT 257 and he had trouble with his lugs before he bought and RC85. FABCO the CAT dealer up here said they thought it was because the machine was too heavy for the undercarriage and I agree with that.

8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Digdeep you almost have 2000 hours on one set of tracks? That is amazing. Do you keep it out of rocky environments? I have seen Cat's last only at most 900 Hours before they were trashed. I have never seen a set go past 1000 Hrs. The Cats though had everyone and anyone running them and they were abused to no end. Some were only lasting as long as 300 Hrs. so I guess it says allot on who runs them and what they are running in.

9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I've run it many different applications including spreading gravel in garages for pads, leveling and shaping driveways, excavating for retaining walls, sod removals and installation, rented a low flow DAVCO to do trail maintenance for a buddies deer hunting property, removed tons of snow, etc. It's seen everything from nice friendly turf, to stone/dirt, gravel, stumps, slash, etc. I think there are two main reasons why I've been able to get good life out of them 1) the machine was built for this undercarriage and does not have the majority of the machine weight at the rear like the CAT 247/257(almost 75% in the back for the 257), I can run with less track tension than the CATs due to the balance of the machine, and the machine weighs over 2000lbs less than the 257 (I have the old loader arms on my machine) and its operating weight is around 5300lbs. 2) I operate and maintain it like a track machine and not like a skid steer. I clean the undercarriage when necessary, minimize counter rotating when I don't need to and this keeps rocks and debris out of the undercarriage unnecessarily, I maintain proper track tension, etc. I sold many many Bobcat track machines and the horror stories are endless on the things that customers did/didn't do to get good life out of the machine. I've always maintained that the 257s and 287s had no business being on an ASV undercarriage because they had way too much weight over the rear of the tracks and they were too heavy. Look at the track wear on a 247 and look at the track wear on a 257. They have the same undercarrige but the wear on the 257 is always much worse. I think this is why "Larry Lug" is in business.

By the way, I've been told by different people that its not uncommon to see 2000 hours out of RC30, RC50 and RC60 tracks. The track is just as thick as ASV larger machines attached to a frame that is much lighter.

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The Bair lugs and roller sleeves will increase the fuel economy, they don't say what type of plastic it's made of, but I suspect Delrin, it's a self lubricating plastic with huge amounts of strength with out being brittle.