Replacement Engine on my Lazer ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowZ06, Jul 29, 2013.

1. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My 2001/2 Lazer Ultra Cut 60 is in need of a new engine. It has been a good engine but with 3800 hours and a bad oil leak it is ready to go. What are my options to replace the Kawasaki FH680 D. Should I go with the same or something different. I want a direct bolt in. Suggestions on where to buy ?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I just replaced the motor on my lazer z. I ordered from jacks small engine. Great price and service.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I would see about fixing that oil leak first, even if it costs several hundred, and start saving for a new mower.

4. mowZ06

mowZ06 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I will be checking out the oil leak first. I already have another Lazer with less hours in perfect running condition and this one is more or less a back up mower. I bought it new and it is worth installing a new engine to me. The hydros are still strong and the blade spindles are tight.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Might consider compression and leak down tests to see if the engine is worth repairing. Have the same engine on a Turf Tracer with 5350+ hours.

6. GreenGuysLC

GreenGuysLC LawnSite Senior Member

smallenginesuppliers.com I replaced a 23hp Kohler this season on Lazer Z HP. Cheapest price I could find.. shipped fast and no problems. I am about to have to order another for a 2nd Lazer Z.

7. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

I second that. Just purchased a 27 hp kohler fron craig at small engine supliers. Best price around by far! When the motor arrived witg a small ding on the valve cover he immediately sent me out a new cover free of charge no questions asked. BEST place to buy a small engine.