Replacement head for echo trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Sep 27, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Does anybody use the replacement head for the Echos (the one where you just insert the precut piece of line into the hole.

I sure get tired of monkeying with that damn windup. It seems that it seizes every other yard or needs some kind of maintenance far too ofter.

I wonder how much time a day I have to mess with jacked up trim line?

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I got one about three months ago. I love it. I use .95 line in it and it works great. I have pre cut a bunch of pieces and keep a few in my pocket so I can change them whenever I need to. I too hated monkeying around with the spool. Its very easy to change. Cost me about $20 and is very ssimply to switch.

3. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

i have been wondering about those types of heads
    i have found myself getting somewhat angry when being in the middle of job and running out of line.

4. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a new head for my 2400 a few weeks ago and love it, no fooling around with wraping the string, just slide a new piece in and away we go, i bought the bigger stuff .155, seems to last along time before replacing them. Thinking about buying another one for my split shaft 2400. Great invention i say.
    Matt

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Stopping to pull line off a reel and then threading it in a spool and finally winding it all the way up is a real time-waster… especially if it’s a hot and sunny day. It’s not that it’s that hard to do, it just takes some time, and usually at the wrong time.

I keep 6-8 extra spools on hand along with a 5# spool of trimmer line pre-cut to 20’ lengths. When my spools get used up, I wind them while I watch TV, in the evenings, in A/C. I’m sure Al Capone wouldn’t have ever considered leaving home without several magazines loaded up and ready to use as needed.

And I've found that round line will jam the least.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used the replacement heads that are in question. They undoubtedly suck!! It is the biggest hastle i have ever used. Steer way clear of these POSs. Likestomow has some great advice.

7. LonghornShortgrass

LonghornShortgrass LawnSite Member

I use the heads on all of my echo line trimmers. (Echo-made, not a cheap-o brand) The line stays in until you pull it out. Nothing to come unwound, no more headaches. I keep a leatherman-type knife on me at all times, which includes pliers to pull out the used-up line. The pliers also have cutters at the base, which cuts the line. If i'm trimming a small area, i'll put a small piece of line in my pocket. If i'm doing a large area or will be away from the truck, I cut a long piece of line off the spool and wrap it loosely around my neck, and use it as I need to.

8. jocko1104

What in particular would you say "sucks"?

9. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I will be willing to bet the bump and go type heads are more effecient, when wound right. The only time we ever have a problem is when someone twist the line when they wind it, or every now and then the nut loosens up in which some lock-tite does the trick.

Likes to mow hit the nail on the head wind a few spools up and go.

If you count the time to wind a spool properly and then us the spool up, all 20 feet of it. I think youll find there isn't as much down time as stopping, removing the stubbs, inserting new pieces and re-starting your trimmer to use 20 feet of line. Pluse your keeping the line longer and can get more done.

In the rocks around here its nice to bump and go. I hardly ever get a jam or weld the line. I have found the echo line works best also.

With someone running a trimmer in my operation up to 8 or more hours a day I'd say I've done a little weedeating.

Jim

10. jocko1104

Could you offer some insight on the best way to wind a spool?