1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replacement kohler w/o oil cooler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by npilcher, Sep 15, 2006.

1. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

I have found a really good deal on a new kohler cv-730s as an extra replacement engine. currently I have all 25hp kohlers. The only drawback if any, this engine has no oil cooler. I know for fact that this engine came off a new but damaged scotts mower. It runs as a new should. Any real big drawbacks by not having the oil cooler. I have 2 Bobcat ZTR mowers this could fit.
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dont see any real drawbacks. I am not even sure if the bobcats that come with Kohlers use them or not.

I am pretty sure you could allways add an oil cooler to it if you wanted.
  3. JHugh

JHugh LawnSite Member

If one of your 25hp engines goes down, remove the oil cooler from it and install on your replacement engine.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I think kohler makes homeowner and commercial engines, make sure your replacement especially if it is from a scotts tractor is a commercial engine.
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, swap the oil cooler from the engine u r removing to the replacement cv-730 and all the parts to do so , u may require a few new gskts to do so.Running a kohler with out an oil cooler shortens the oil life and there fore engine life.Experience has proven if u run below 77*f ambient with a small deck 42 inch and below u do not need a cooler,this situation is unlikely however.
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Homeowners engines are just recently. They are the courage series. Before the courage series their warranty didnt differentiate between commercial and homeowner...basically all engines have a 2 year warranty...3 years on some.