1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replacement kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HicksGroundMgt, Jan 30, 2004.

1. can anyone recommend a place to get a replacement kohler? the two dealer here want 1900.00 for just the motor. i've looked through a couple of sites and have found some cheaper prices there. just want to explore my options. also the motor is coming off a toro 62" z with a 25 hp, could i get a way with a 23hp?
  2. north in south

north in south LawnSite Member

small engine warehouse.com Cheapest place around. fast shipping. 23 has less noticeable torque.

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

since were on the subject. does anyone know if i would run in to any problems going from a 22 horse kohler vertical shaft. to a 25 horse kohler or kawasaki. besides the the bigger shaft size. should everything else bolt up and plug in.
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: if you go with the kohler it should bolt right up and the harness should plug right together, i would not go with a bigger shaft though because now you need to change the pulleys as well. you should be able to find a 25hp with the same shaft size. if you go to a kawi the harness on the machine is from kohler and you need to change that, it can cost an addt. $200. tony

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

thank,s tony but the 22 that i have on the mower now has a 1'' shaft and every 25 that i have checked into has a 1 1/8'' shaft. i know that i will have to switch pully,s and the clutch. but i think that it,s worth it for the little extra power. but i guess i will have to stick with kohler since i dont want to change the harness. again thank you.
  6. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a replacement Honda 6.5 engine for my trac vac unit this past fall from smallenginewarehouse.com . All i can say is the they saved me over $150 over my dealer, shipping was free on that selected model and the engine was here within a few days. Excellent service and prices!!!!

7. johnbast3

johnbast3 LawnSite Member

Check out tulsaenginewarehouse.com..Also,do a search in google.I've found TEW to be quite a bit less on larger kohlers.I bought an 18 cv for 495..Also,be sure to check out their closeouts..As far as changing clutch-no biggie,plus,as far as the harness goes,use your old one.( it wouldn't be that hard to change,however,a 12 volt system is a 12 volt system)..JB
  8. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I dont know how prices compare but I would also check with www.landscapersupply.com they have a good choice of engines and other equipt too. Just my 2 cents.
  9. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

When you buy an engine there is a serial number and a model number. If you want to just drop in the engine you need to match both. When Kohler builds engines, they build them to the specs. of the OEM. There are alot of different setups all within the same horsepower catagory. The plug can and probably will be wired differently than the one you are replacing. It's not a big deal to rewire any of these engines, you just need to know ahead of time.

I've used smallenginewharehouse.com and they did just what they said they would do. Courteous and prompt. I had my 25 hp in three days!
  10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bolted right on. I didn't even need the motor, I just wanted more power.

The Kohler 23 HP vertical may have a 1" shaft or a 1 1/8" shaft.

Do you have a vertical shaft or horizontal shaft Kohler?

If you need a cheap vertical shaft I will sell the Kohler 25 vertical I took out for $400, + shipping or come pick up. It has about 850 hours, and has only tasted premium gas and synthetic oil.