1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Replacement Lawnboy Engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Landrus2, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Those any one know were to get replacement engines for commercial lawnboy :waving:
  2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Your Toro dealer. They come with a brand new red deck, new wheels, and a new blade. And they run better and longer than the old one. Sorry couldn't reisist. But Toro did buy Lawn Boy.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you ask the question in this way ("... replacement engine")? I will presume you mean a 2 cycle engine, such as a DuraForce. If not, then disregard the following comments.

Is the crankshaft destroyed? Main bearings? Broken rod?

If the main part of the engine has a major problem, a new short-block can be installed. For all practical purposes, this will provide you with a "replacement engine."

I posted some threads earlier in the season about difficulties I had with my 2 cycle DuraForce engine. The result was a short-block replacement. Here are the two threads:

The second one provides pics of my work to do the short-block replacement. It is not a difficult task, and requires 3-4 hours. The cost of a new part is about $180. If you need help, I can walk you through the task. But, basic mechanic skills are all that is needed -- there is no "skilled" tasks, such as bearing installs, ring insertions, etc.