replacement motor for B&S 11 hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by John Browning, Dec 5, 2007.

1. John Browning

John Browning LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am looking at buying a ued walker mower. I think it is a 1989 model. It has a 48" deck. It had a 11 hp B&S on it , but it blew the motor. I can buy it for $700.00 , but tuhe replacement motor that the dealer offers is $1600.00 plus expence of additional mounting hardware. I have been trying to find other options , briggs does not make a replacement motor for that engine. I would even settle for a rebuildable used one. If any one could help that would be great.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. John Browning

from Indiana

Thanks for the info . I sent them a email I will see what they come back with. I do not have the ser. # of the mower , but I do have the numbers of the engine.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All you really need to know is vertical / horizontal shaft, the hp, the shaft dimensions, and the application (what it goes on).
    I dare say it's the shaft dimensions always slow me down, the rest is relatively easy.

But for a briggs that size, it shouldn't cost more than $400 for the engine.
    You can almost get a Honda for 6-700, 10-11 hp.
    DO remember they are shipped NO oil :)

5. John Browning

from Indiana

Thanks to one of the above post, I found a 11 hp B&S that the say will fit in the mower. I am going to have to get the shaft measurements to confirm they will work. If I complete the project I will post the results. If anyone else comes up with any ideas I would be interested.

6. ariensman

ariensman LawnSite Member

I have a 33inch sutech stealth that used to have a 10.5 hp b&s on it. When I blew that I found that the 15hp kohler command pro for $650 was a direct bolt-on replacement for that engine and a wonderful upgrade. No drilling and was even able to use the same engine controls.

7. John Browning

from Indiana

The walker mower that I am looking at is a ztr ride on. The sutech stealth that I seen on line is a walk behind. The engine on the walker is a horizontal shaft . I think one of the big issues is crank shaft dimensions.

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly which engine do you have?
    I don't know if your mower has an electric PTO or not, but if it does, you need an engine with a charging system capable of providing enough current for it.
    IF everything is "non electric", your options are better for a low priced engine.

9. John Browning

from Indiana

I am not sure if it has a electric pto , I will have to find out. I do think it had a dual charging or dual altenator system.

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I would advise saving your money and finding a newer used walker. Those older machines are neat but are real contraptions compared to the later designs.