1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replacement mower

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by accuratelawn, May 2, 2007.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Need a little help.
    I currently run a Super Z 27 Kohler 72 (old Deck). I want to replace with a newer version. I know the XR7 deck is a true 72. A true 72 would be too big for me. I am thinking of a 66. The 27 Kohler did well on my 72, with the exception of real heavy growth in the spring.

What is the feedback on the 26L/C Kawasaki? Is is verticle shaft?
    I Demoed a 27 L/C a few years ago, and did not like the fact that the large engine encroached of the seating area and lessened the leg room.

Would a 30 Kohler be a good match for the 66? I know the 28 EFI would be great, but the price is a little much.

What is the difference in trim side on a 60 vs a 66?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The 26 is a great engine, as is the 28 and 30 Kohler's.
    There is plenty of leg room on the 26 liquid cooled unit now, it is a vertical shaft engine and mounts up the same as all of our mowers.
    The trim side #'s are as follows...
    54 in: 0 in (0 cm)
    60 in: 3 in (7.62 cm)
    66 in: 4 in (10.16 cm)
    72 in: 7 in (17.78 cm)
  3. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be happier with the torque of the 30hp Kohler. There is a spring promo on the 30/66 this year. I would check with your local dealers about this, though. The liquid cooled Kaw (26hp Kaw) will be quiter and easier starting. But if your a LCO, I would go with the higher HP.
  4. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

what are trim side #'s?
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Basically they are the amount of inches the deck sticks out beyond the rear tire on the trim side of the deck.
    More is good, easier to trim with more trim side inches.
    Some units have more some have less, it depends on how the deck is centered up on the frame of the tractor.