replacement question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grobbins6, Jul 16, 2008.

1. grobbins6

grobbins6 LawnSite Member

Hi all-

We just moved to a new house (as you may remember from other posts) and I am still trying to square away the existing system.

I have searched here but did not find anything and have contacted Hunter through their web site but have not heard back from them yet. I am sure they will at some point but even still I am wondering what your thoughts are....

The system was installed in 1998 and consists of about half PGP and half PGM spread over 5 zones (there is a single spray head). There are two heads I need to replace and one is a Toro v1550 that I assume the previous owner installed as a replacement. I learned from reading here that even if I could find a v1550 I do not want to use it so my question is...how do I figure out what to replace it with? I would say PGP because that's what the other are in that zone but they don't make them any more.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

They still make PGPs & short-throw rotars, like the PGM. Call the local supply house.

3. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Freudian slip?

4. Mike Leary

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. grobbins6

Update...Hunter did get back to me and this was their response...

"I am not familiar with the Toro product to know what replacement would match. Contact Technical Service if you have questions or comments regarding Hunter products. "

...quite helpful. :rolleyes:

6. grobbins6

My mistake...I keep getting my pg's confused! Thanks for the correction.

Do I have to select a nozzle and if so what is a good resource for figuring out how?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It happens that the old V-1550s should have an arrow on the cover telling you what their gpm is. Work from there.

8. Mike Leary

Measure to the next head & look at the sheet that comes with the heads, that will get
    you started for what nozzle you need. You want "head to head" coverage.
    Or look on-line for Hunter PGP & other Hunter heads, it'll have nozzle charts.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Who told you they don't make the PGP anymore? Admittedly, I don't install much Hunter stuff anymore. We are almost all Rain Bird. But I am pretty sure they still make the PGP unless something's changed in the last few months. I'm 99% sure I still see it at all my suppliers in town.

I think you're misinformed. If you want to stay with all one brand, use the PGP if that's what the other zones have. And if you want to step it up a notch, use Rain Bird 5004 Plus PRS Rotors with the MPR Nozzles inside them. That's about as good as you can get with rotors, IMHO. Beats the PGP hands down. But I warn you, if you do this, you'll want to change out ALL your zones.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

PGPs are still made. PGMs are not. They have been replaced by the PGJ. Personally, I hate the PGM and the PGJ. PGM was bad in reliability, and I do not like the coverage of the PGJ. BOTH of those issues are happening with the RB 3500 which is also a mini rotor. I don't stock any mini rotors at all anymore. 5004 with low angle nozzle if necessary.