1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

replacement sod full of weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by IndyLady, Jan 12, 2006.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady LawnSite Member

Last fall I received two replacement sod sections in my new yard. The sections were replaced while I was out of town and were not watered for 3-4 days. Half of the section was soon covered with clover weeds. When I called the landscaper, I was told this resulted from the lack of water. Is this accurate? I feel the product was defective and should be replaced again in the Spring.
  2. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

If your new sod went 1 day with out water, this could be the result. If it went 3 or 4 you are lucky there is anything there at all. Newly laid sod has now root system at all. Once the moisture in the soil is gone it is gone. The grass will soon start to die, leaving the door open for weeds to take over the bare soil.

3. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

The lack of water had nothing to do with the clover sprouting up in your sod. The seed was already there unless you had an outbreak of the stuff in the rest of the lawn.

It matters not if the non watering was 1 day or 4 as far as that goes.

The sod souldn't have been replaced if the guy knew you were going to be out of town for a few days. This is assuming you don't have an irrigation system.

I don't think you were given crappy sod on purpose. It pays to know where your sod is coming from. LOL I wouldn't trade my guy for gold and I won't tell anyone who I use either *grin*

Give it a shot of Weed-b-gone, wait 10 days and hit it again. Your problem will be solved. Be sure and follow lable directions...

La. Landscape contractor #2576
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right but since it DID go that long without water it is dead..and the point is also that their should have not ben clover in it when it was replaced and the guy owes you a clean live replacement when you will be there to care for it.Period.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seen clover or any other weeds in sod. Most likely the clover was in the ground and came up from between the sod pieces. Should be easy to tell if that is the case. Regardless the clover should be easy to treat with weed killer and get it out. Sod can't go 24 hours without being heavily watered in the summer.
  6. LandscapePro

Good point. That may have indeed been the case.

Whether the sod was dead after 3-4 days without additional irrigation depends on 1. how much water was applied by the installer when it was put down. 2. what were the weather conditions over the 3-4 days the homeowner wasn't there and 3. how much or how little water did the homeowner apply upon her return.

La. landscape Contractor #2576
  7. sheshovel

GEE no kidding?
  8. LandscapePro

"Right but since it DID go that long without water it is dead.."

Nope....no kidding.

Just pointing out the above statement did not take into account any factors with regard to the installation. Were the weather cool and cloudy for the "3-4 days" the homeowner was absent the sod wasn't damaged.

La. Landscape Contractor #2576
  9. sheshovel

AH HA but the real question is..did the landscaper water it in or not??I would never allow new sod to go without water even for one day cloudy or not.And if I had done the sod and replacement,I would have gone by and checked it and manualy watered it if needed untell I could contact the homeowner and inform him he need to keep it watered that would have been my responsibility had I been unable to get in touch with said owner when I replaced the sod..and that I would have done
  10. LandscapePro

Oh there are several questions. That's the way it goes...one usually leads to three...which leads to a couple of more.

Is Landscape Contracting a licensed profession in the location where the dirty deed took place? If so, did the homeowner use a licensed installer or "joe landscaper" whose expertise equals having a shovel and a truck?

What class of sod was ordered and what class was actually installed?

How "new" was the yard to begin with?

Was the installer of these "two replacement sections" the same person that put down the lawn in the first place? If so, why did these "two sections" not make it to begin with. What time of the year was the original installation and how was the entire project cared for afterward?

What type of, and in what time frame, was there communication between the homeowner and the original installer with regard to a problem existing with a portion of the installation?

Did the homeowner follow directions as to the care of the new sod installation in the first place?

There is quite a mystery here...lots of intrigue as well. Where's Columbo when ya need him?

La. Landscape Contractor #2576